This recipe rather nicely ties in 4 of my favourite foods, but you have to be careful to follow the instructions on the packet, for cooking the polenta. It is important that is sufficiently thick when you have finished boiling it. Also polenta does have a subtle flavour and so do not skimp on the cheese and if you cannot use parmesan then a mature cheddar or a blue cheese should do the trick.
Serves 4 with preparation taking about 10 minutes and cooking time of 20 to 25 minutes
1 litre/32floz/4 cups boiling water
330gm/11oz/1 1/3 cups quick polenta
150gm/5oz/ 3/4 cup parmesan cheese grated.
1 clove garlic minced
200gm/7oz/1 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained
a little oil
salt and pepper
- In a 2 litre saucepan add the polenta to the salted boiling water and stir continuously until it is cooked, usually about 4 or 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, garlic, 2/3rds of the cheese and then season with salt and pepper. Stir until the spinach is well distributed.
- Pour into a lightly oiled baking tray approximately 30 x 40 cms/15 x 20 inches.
- Press well into all the corners, and then using a spatula or a damp tablespoon, smooth the surface.
- Sprinkle over all the surface with the remaining cheese
- Place under a hot grill for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is goldenThis both tasty hot or cold, and it freezes very well also