A tomato sauce that you can tinker with around the edges according to what dish it is complementing is what I am offering here, and it is so easy to make.
Serves 4 with preparation time about 10 minutes and cooking time about 20 minutes
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 onion finely chopped
1 clove garlic crushed
450gm/1lb tin of tomato pulp or passata
salt and pepper
For a hot sauce
1 level teaspoon chilli flakes
For a savoury sauce
2 level teaspoons of dried mixed herbs or herbs of your choice
For a sweet and sour sauce
1 desert spoon of sugar (adjust to your taste)
2 desert spoons of pineapple juice or white wine vinegar
For an Indian sauce
1 level teaspoon of your favourite curry powder (adjust to your taste)
- Gently fry the onion in the oil for about 4 minutes then add the garlic, cooking for another 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato, salt and pepper and the herbs or spices of your choice.
- Bring to the boil cooking for a few minutes.
- Use a stick blender to smooth the sauce then check the flavour and adjust if you need to.
- Decant into a serving jug or dish and keep warm until ready to use.